For additional information or questions, please contact the City Manager's Office, (505) 891-5002.
Rio Rancho is the 3rd largest city in New Mexico, the fastest growing community in the state, and one of the fastest growing in the southwest. Rio Rancho has been recognized as one of “America’s 50 Best Cities to Live” citing exceptional public schools and well below national average crime rates (24/7 Wall Street). Rio Rancho encompasses approximately 104 sq. mi. and sits at an elevation of approximately 5,290 feet.
- Rio Rancho was named the Best Place to Live in New Mexico by MONEY's Best Places to Live in Every State in 2018.
- In 2018, Rio Rancho was named the 30th Best Place to Live in America, out of over 580 qualified places, by MONEY’S 2018 Best Places to Live in America.
- In 2017, Rio Rancho was named the Best Place to Live in New Mexico by MONEY's Best Places to Live in Every State.
- The community has been recognized by Family Circle Magazine as one of the 10 best towns for families in 2013.
- Money Magazine ranked the city as one of the 100 best places to live in America in 2005, 2006, 2010, and 2012.
- In April 2008, Fortune Small Business Magazine ranked Rio Rancho as the 83rd best place to live and launch a business in the United States.
- In November of 2008, BusinessWeek Magazine named Rio Rancho as New Mexico's best place to raise kids in 2009. Rio Rancho received this same honor from the magazine for 2010.
Census Bureau Population
The following table contains population estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau. Yearly population estimate information from the Census Bureau is released each July and lags one year behind the actual calendar year. Between 2010-2015, Rio Rancho’s population grew by more than 5%. Estimates show that the population is projected to grow more than 15% between 2015-2020.
2018 (population estimates)
According to the Census Bureau’s Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010, the median age of the City of Rio Rancho’s population is 35.9, 51.3 percent of the population is female as compared to 48.7 percent male, the average household size is 2.72 and the average family size is 3.19. Visit the U.S. Census Bureau online.
Click here for an interactive City tour
Gross Receipts Tax and Minimum Wage
The City of Rio Rancho's current gross receipts tax rate is 7.4375 percent as of Jan. 1, 2011. The current minimum wage is $7.50. Visit the State of New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department website for more gross receipts tax information.