In March 2018, Rio Rancho voters approved the issuance of a $4,100,000 general obligation bond, to be repaid from property taxes for the purpose of designing, constructing, repairing, preserving, rehabilitating, enhancing and otherwise improving public safety facilities and repairing, replacing or otherwise improving public safety vehicles, apparatus, and equipment.
Where the money goes
• Replacement of approximately 50 Police Vehicles
Estimated cost of $1,913,597
• Fire Ladder Truck replacement
Estimated cost of $950,000
• Fire Engine replacement
Estimated cost of $500,000
• Fire Water/Pumper Truck replacement
Estimated cost of $270,000
• Ambulance replacement
Estimated cost of $50,000
(Partial cost; remaining funding necessary to acquire coming from another already secured source)
• Public Art (local law requires that one percent (1%) of the proceeds of each general obligation bond issuance shall be dedicated for works of permanent public art that enhance the environment of the city)
• Bond issuance costs and contingency
*If actual costs are below estimates, additional public safety vehicle, equipment or facility needs (to be determined) would be addressed. If actual costs exceed estimates, some vehicle and/or equipment acquisitions would be eliminated.