The Rio Rancho Public Libraries, at its discretion, will make laptop computers available for in-library use by Library card holders to assist in research, networking, recreational use, and document or presentation needs. Laptops are provided according to availability. Use of the laptops indicates agreement to the terms of the Laptop Lending Agreement and the Computer Use Policy.
The borrower must be 18 years of age or older and have a valid Library card in good standing. To check out a laptop, the borrower must present one of the following: A) their Library card; B) a school ID; or C) a valid license or state ID. The Library card or ID will be held at the reference desk until the laptop with all pieces in working order is returned.
1. Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis, and cannot be reserved.
2. Laptops can be checked out 2 hours. The laptop session may be renewed if no other customers are waiting.
3. Laptop lending will end one hour before the Library closes. All laptops must be returned no later than 30 minutes before closing.
4. Laptops must be returned in person, and must be turned on for inspection purposes. Do not return the laptops to the book drops or leave them on the counter. Borrowers should be prepared for a brief wait while staff verifies that all items have been returned in working condition.
5. A customer’s privilege to check out a laptop may be suspended if the customer fails to return loaned equipment on time. Laptops not returned by Library closing time will be considered stolen. The police department will be notified and an investigation may be initiated.
6. Under no circumstances should a borrower leave the laptop unattended -- the Library is not responsible for a lost or stolen laptop once in the borrower’s possession.
Each laptop is equipped with operating software, a standard suite of Microsoft Office products, and built in Wi-Fi. Use within the Library does not require an access code. No additional software may be installed or downloaded. Audio or video files must be played with headphones. Skype and similar video communications must be done within meeting rooms.
How much does it cost?
Borrowing and using a laptop is free. If the laptop is lost or damaged beyond repair, fees are as follows:
AC Adapter/Power Cord - $25.00
Damaged/Lost/Stolen laptop - $500.00
Mouse - $10.00
Detachable Battery - $30.00