Please browse the following section to find information about doing business with the City
The Purchasing Division is responsible for the acquisition of all supplies, materials, equipment and/or services for the City of Rio Rancho, New Mexico. The City assumes no liability for payment of obligations except those incurred and authorized by the City of Rio Rancho Purchasing Division.
The primary objective of Purchasing is to provide timely and responsive support to user departments. Functions of the Purchasing Division include:
- Purchasing of supplies, materials, equipment and services as requested by user departments in accordance with Article 2 of the Procurement Code
- Providing guidance and training to user departments on the Procurement Code and purchasing policies and procedures
- Formulating policy regarding purchasing procedures.
Purchase Order Awards
Award of a purchase order will be made to the responsive bidder submitting the lowest and best bid which conforms to the specifications, terms and conditions contained in the invitation. Consideration will also be given to the bidder's potential ability to successfully perform the terms and conditions contained in the invitation and the bidder's past performance, if applicable.
The City of Rio Rancho by enactment of a Charter pursuant to the provisions of Article X, Section 6 of the New Mexico Constitution and pursuant to the Municipal Charter Act, is a home rule municipality. The City will adhere to the Procurement Code adopted in accordance to the City of Rio Rancho Charter. No political or other prejudicial consideration govern the award of the City of Rio Rancho contracts or orders; rather every purchase is made in the public's interest providing all vendors a fair and equal opportunity. It is the objective of the City of Rio Rancho to procure the necessary supplies, equipment and services at the lowest possible cost consistent with the quality needed to meet the departmental requirements and that the taxpayer receive the maximum value for each dollar expended.
The City of Rio Rancho maintains a current file of prospective bidders categorized by goods and services. The bidder file is continually updated with new prospective bidders.
- The purchasing, renting, leasing, lease purchasing or otherwise acquiring items of tangible personal property, services or construction.
- All procurement functions, including but not limited to, preparation of specifications, solicitation of sources, qualification or disqualification of sources and preparation and award of contracts and contract administration
The City of Rio Rancho has the following types of open market purchases.
- A sole Source Purchase or emergency requires justification documentation. Best Obtainable Price.
- $0.01 to $50.00, Petty Cash
All purchases under $5,000 shall be made at the best obtainable price.
- Purchases between $5,000.01 - $10,000 shall be made after receipt of three telephone quotations.
- Purchases between $10,000.01 - 20,000 shall be made after receipt of fax or written quotation, which shall be attached to the purchase requisition.
- Purchases over $20,000 shall be a formal invitation for bid (IFB)
- A 5% allowance shall be credited to bidders' prices for businesses with offices located within city limits.
- Procurement requirements shall not be artificially divided so as to constitute a small purchase under this section.
Regardless of the type of goods and/or services being sought, the City of Rio Rancho may use existing price agreements/contracts issued by other governmental entities including, but not limited to, the Federal GSD, State of New Mexico, Counties, Schools or other Municipalities.